Sunday, May 22, 2011

More from the piles of scraps called life...

Life is so fun... and the learning never ends.  I've been working on this project of a family tree, tracing our family with a cousin who really does not know many of his extended family.  Well through a little questioning and a mother who had some "stuff" we found out we were related to a soldier from the US Revolutionary War... then she pulls out a paper showing membership of a Great-Great Grandmother in the "Sons & daughters of the Mayflower"... so... off we go on that search.  Now we have linked the family together through several generations using Family Mingle, a fun way to communicate and keep track of all those important dates.  It stays private, so we can collaborate across the many miles that keep us apart.  So while I should be working on my contract items, I search for the "scraps of fabric" that made me into the "complete quilt" that I am. So far I have done this using free sites - Rootsweb.com has a clearing house on all sorts of information, and others who are doing the same. Oh yeah - one of my ancestors was hung on Sept 22, 1692 in Salem, MA as a "witch" - Doesn't that explain ALOT!