Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pieces falling into place

Schools is out, but my research continues.  As part of learning instructional technology I thought I would take upon research into my family history; so many times the people in our families have led us to be the people we are today.  I seem to have an interest in the women of my family at the turn of the century - 1900!  After researching Ellen Henrietta Swallow Richards, I was wondering what I could find out about my great - great grandmother, Charlotta Yhlen Olsen.  Little information was noted on the geneology information that I had, so off I went.

Turns out she was in the 21st graduating class of  the Womens Medical College of Pennsylvania.  According to the records, she graduated in 1873 after spending 3 years studying medicine; at a time when women were not able to join men in the same classrooms or clinics.  Drexel University has done a great job archiving the actual documents online.  Through these archives, I've seen her matriculation - graduation announcement and her actual thesis:  30 pages HANDWRITTEN on the subject of Glaucoma.  I am so glad that I am a student in the 21st Century!  Not only do I have equal access to what men have, I have the ability to research without walking into a library, have millions of research papers to review, collaboration and communication is instantaneous and last, but certainly not least - I do not have to write it by hand - hence it is legible!

Could her belief in education, no matter the obstacles have something to do with my interest in continuing my education?  Sometimes working with the tsunami of technology seems like a huge obstacle to me, but like my GG Grandmom, I will continue to put all pieces together ...

1 comment:

  1. Sue, It is so cool that you found out info about your great great grandmother. I really do believe that our ancestors shape who we are. My grandmother was also ahead of her time as well. Somewhat different though as she was a foreman of a textile factory during the depression at a time when women didn't really work. She was a working mother in the 1930s and taught me a lot about work ethic and being independent. Now you have me thinking what about the other women in my family. Where did my grandmother learn to be so independent? I have done some genealogy research, but not much in depth research. I am excited to try to learn some more information. Summer is here and I have some more time. Enjoy your research and summer!

    ReplyDelete