Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Breath of Fresh Air

This week certainly was interesting.  Began in WIMBA cafe, learned a little about the ideas for the MAIT program going forward.  Seems like there is a challenge getting teachers motivated to begin the program; concerns for finances I'm sure top the list of reasons that many don't want to make the commitment.  I must say it has been one of the best decisions I've made.  I actually love the learning even though at times I get frustrated.

The warm weather was certainly a blessing... hopefully it is not going to continue this much above normal during the summer.  It definately seems like spring when the cardinals are chirping outside my open windows, and the plum trees begin to bloom.  Before long my home will be hidden from view due to all the plum trees.

My classes had a great time this week exploring the global origins of American food - Pizza made from scratch,on Pi Day. Then onto the far east with Vegetable Fried Rice.  All food was enjoyed by all, with absolutely no waste.  It is reassuring when the student who walks into class saying "I HATE VEGGIES" is saying the Fried Rice "this tastes good"

My week ended today with the completion of the rough draft of my Personal Learning Theory Paper focusing on sewing and its relationship to 21st Century Skills and STEM education. 

So that leads me to the Engineering part of STEM - you know the PROBLEM SOLVING.  So here's the problem - my "squirrel proof" bird feeder is not "racoon proof".  Saturday saw my husband researching racoons - did you know that a racoon can rip the siding off of your house? How to stop these 'coons that are eating all of the birdseed became the family problem of the weekend. (We know they are there because they stare at Mike at midnight)
Solution 1 - shotgun - no go!
Solution 2 - Barbed wire - too sharp!
Solution 3 - Close the feeder - well we'll try it - weighting the feeder closed at night.

So the week ended, I'm breathing easy now since the flags are completed and flew in competition this weekend.  (First place for both teams)  Paper is written and submitted, blog is updated, portfolio is a work in progress,so Sunday will be a day for me!  Off to Wheaton Village for "A Garden of Quilts" show.

No comments:

Post a Comment